Monday, June 9, 2014

Pop can teacher gifts tutorial



I saw this idea a few years back and I don't remember where but I absolutely LOVE this idea!! It's always a teacher favorite and a wow moment as the recipient tries to figure out how you got the goodies into the can. It's actually pretty simple.  You start out by purchasing any 15oz can with a pull top. In my case, I bought fruit cocktails, peaches and madarin oranges because I figured it would be easiest to go through those but it really doesn't matter what the contents are.  We're only going to use the cans.

Step 1: To empty them, open the cans from the bottom instead of using the pop tops.  We want to preserve those.  I use an old fashion can opener and try to keep it attached at the very end just a little.  The newer can openers that cut the lids off on the outside are harder to glue back together. They don't quite fit back in.







Step 2: once your cans are empty, make sure you carefully clean them out and dry them.  Just remember there will be sharp edges. Also, pull the label off at this point.


Step 3: fill the cans about half way with whatever candy you choose.  I used hershey kisses and starbursts.  Then to add some pretty, stuff a little tissue paper to fill the other half.  

Step 4: once your cans are filled, push the can bottom back down and hot glue them shut.  This part won't look pretty but that's ok! No one will even see it!  

Step 4:  use the label from the can as a guide and cut some scrapbook paper the same size.  Wrap the paper around the can.  I hot glued them since I already had the gun warmed up but you could also use tape or gluedots. For the label, I just typed up the cute little saying and added each of my children's names.  I glued that to the paper before gluing the paper to the can just to make sure I centered the arrow with the tab.


Step 5: add some colorful ribbon to the tab just to give it a little more flair.  I tried to use ribbon that matched the papers.  
And then your done!! Your final products sure to wow your child's teacher! Total cost is around $1-2 a can depending on what kind of candy you use and whether you already have ribbon laying around.  I already had most of the supplies in my craft drawers.

No comments:

Post a Comment